Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Language training

The month of observation is over i finally can start classes. I did my first class abonaras or composting. It went over well a bit hectic but well. I then got sick and I couldn't work. I have a chest cold because of all of the dust here. I was sick for a week then we had language training. The next week. I felt like i was letting people down. I mean it was my first weeks of teaching and I'm not there. But your can't help getting sick so life goes on.

Language taller was torture. It was four days of intensive training we started at 8 and went until 4 with a one hour lunch and two 15min breaks. We were so brain dead that i couldn't think in proper Spanish by the end. I was mixing up the words that sounded alike. I learned alot though which was the goal of the taller. We end over so many topics i wonder if i will remember it all. It was nice to see everyone and we got to hang out almost every night as a group. I was in a training town with four other volunteers and lived in what I would consider a Nica mansion. I lived with another volunteer who is also a veggie person. Which was nice when we had to explain that to the host mom. The house had tile floors and a real ceiling, a flush toilet, shower and screens in the windows. There was paper towels, an electric stove and washing machine. I had a real bed and the other volunteer and I shared a bathroom. The food was also amazing with freshish bread. We were defiantly spoiled for that week.

So to make matters worst i had a stomach thing the whole time i was there and I am not on a bunch a of meds to try and fight this thing. Not sure what is wrong but I'm sure everything will be fine so or so I hope.Because of this I had t stray overnight in Leon which was planing to do anyways but not i have it paid for which is always nice. There was a Jazz concert that night and I went to eat some American food. No mater how good the food can be there is always that craving for food that I know. It was a nice night and just the thing i needed after a stressful week.

I don't know if people have heard about the protesting and road blocks that are happening all over the northern part of Nicaragua AKA closeish to my area. This is the information that i have right now "The former Sandinista fighters who were demobilized in 1990, as well as a group of retired Nicaraguan soldiers from the 1990s, are demanding the government attend to their rights to a state pension, land and healthcare, among other basic services." (Ex-combatants: roadblocks will continue. The Nicaragua Dispatch. March 12 2012. http://www.nicaraguadispatch.com/breaking-news/ex-combatants-roadblocks-will-continue/2930) They stopped because the government is going to start talking but if they don't do anything they will start ups again. I don't think that this is over not by a long shot. There was a time there that all of the buses going north of Managua couldn't leave since all of the major highways were blocked. I was afraid that i wouldn't be able to get back to my site after training. I'm perfectly safe in my site so no worries there.

More lass next week and a few changes to life. Love you all

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there kiddo. I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete