Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An eye opener

I know I just updated but something happened today that felt was news worthy. I just hope that I am not crossing any rules with this entry. If any Nicaraguan are reading this please don't be offended by my commentary. I do not mean to speak down about the culture or the people of Nicaragua. I love the people that I meet here.

Now on to the situation. I was talking with my teacher today about dating they seem to find it fascinating that I am single and that I don't choose to date while I am here. I can't help but think that they are secretly going to start looking for a man for me. LOL. Anyways she asked about what type of guys that I like what characteristics I looked for in a guy. I explained to her one of the things was that I didn't care what the race of there person was. She then asked if I would go with and African I said of course. She acted very shocked and began to say she would never go with a black. I said that my dad was African and she seemed a bit flustered saying that no all of them were bad.

I knew over my stay here that there was racism I guess that I didn't realized how deep it went. This opened my eyes to the harsh reality of it all. There have been other situations but I found that I brushed them off. I guess this conversation shit closer to home then I thought. It got me wondering what they think of me. I have no problem with being in the sun and getting tan. They think it is a bad thing. I do not hide from them that I am black and some times I can't help but thing that they disapprove of me is some small way. They are all very accepting and eager to talk with me so I have been given no inclination of this idea but one does wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment