Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Thursday, March 22, 2012

A stressful week

Good evening everyone. This past week was rather interesting and a bit stressful. I have to move host families for reasons that will not be disclosed here. I have been taking this week to look at my options with the help of my lovely counterpart. I have about three options. I have only got to look at one of them but hopefully i will see the others soon. Here is what i can grasp from the descriptions of the homes that my counterpart has given me:

1. Is one of the teachers in the school. She lives alone and has a house complex connected to her own house in which i would be living. I would be making my own meals. Other than that i don't have much to report since i have no visited the house.
2. Is one of my friends in town. I get along well with here family and feel at home when i visit the house. I have not had the chance to talk in detail about moving into the house and I can only hope that they have room for me.
3. Is a house connected to a pulparia (small story) I would be moving in to her daughters room where the daughter would go i don't know. They have a nice house that is sectioned off into three parts. Two kitchens one with a wood fire and on with a small gas burners. I did not get to see the room since the door was locked. They have a big backyard and have about 8 people in their family. The only concern that i have is that one of the men of the house is a boracho (drunk) he only comes at night and not often. I would be able to keep my door locked but i don't know if i want to live like that for two year. I would also be cooking most if not all of my own food.
4. there is one more but we have not even talked to the family about it. It is a big house that is owned by a woman and her two children. I had one of her kids in my manualidades (arts and crafts) class. But i don't really know anything about the family.

Now for my own criteria for a house. I would want to live with a family that i feel comfortable with and that i can have a nice conversation with. That is one thing that I feel is lacking with my current family. I feel like really don't have to much n common. I obviously want a safe house and I want to be able to cook my own breakfast and dinner lunch is optional. I can find that Nica's don't always know how to feed a vegetarian. I think it would be better all around if i cooked. It would ensure that I got more then rice and beans to eat. Not my favorite dish. I would like a running shower but that is not a must. My room has to have ventilation to it. That is one thing about my room now is how stuffy and hot it can get during the day. They must accept Miles my cat. Other than that I and willing to explore my options.

Well I have started to teach more classes and i was told on a scale of 1-10 i teach at a 5. Which i think i pretty good from someone with very little teaching experience. It was on a topic that I wasn't quite sure how to teach the functioning of the different parts of the eyes and ears. Mind you it was not the structure but the function. I have taught other science and math courses that went relatively well. I do have to say that I am having a bit of fun but it is not my calling.

I finally got to right my bike to the school 6k away and the first day it broke. The bike store didn't tighten the screws on the peddles and gears. I ended up walking it half the way. I would prefer to walk to ride the bike but it is faster and the thing wasn't cheep. They got it fixed up at the school so I didn't have to walk it home too. LOL There is so much loose dusty roads almost like sand that makes it hard to peddle at times but not imposable as well as rocks I swear my rear end i raw from the bouncing. I am definitely gaining leg muscles.

Now comes the random happening paragraph. I am happy to say that I am not healthy with no stomach pains or gripe (colds) I just hope I didn't jinks myself. I might have also been proven wrong, the road blockers have not started again to my knowledge. I will give it another week but everything seems calm right now. It is sweltering here an average of 95 for the whole weeks and sometimes not electricity which means no fan! Miles has taken to seeing more of the day under my bed I think it's about a few degrees cooler there. I am realizing that my Spanish is defiantly improving. I can form sentences using the past and having them come out somewhat right. I also find my fluency is better and I can read a book aloud without sounding out every other word. I still find it hard at times to understand others but I seem to be getting the main idea of the topics. I feel like I'm begining to fit in a little bit now that I have some closer friends, I can't wait to get to know them better.

Don't think there is much more I have to see and I bit you all a fond farewell until next time. XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I like option one. Do Not pick option three!
    I love you and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete