Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hey, this has been an interesting week. As I am sure that a few of you have seen on the news there has been a lot of disasters close to Nicaragua. I am fine! I did feel the earthquake that was in Costa Rica but there was no damage in my site or anywhere near me. All of the volunteers are fine it was just a shock. Yesterday the volcano  San Cristobal erupted we were evacuated from my site. It is the region next to Leon. We are all safe and my village is safe too. There was no real danger there was a lot of smoke and ash a few random lava  but it didn't really effect us at all. We are being held some place safe and waiting to make sure that there is no more after problems. I have this feeling that this will not be our last evacuation for and environmental disaster I hope that I am wrong but we are on vault lines and the land of volcano. 

School has been going well I have gotten out garden close to done at my second school and the kids are very excited about my manualidades class (arts and crafts). I have been doing many things with the third grade teacher. I am creating one of the final exams with him and will be giving it. This should be fun to do and i have some great ideas. I think he will let me at least help out with the science one and I will be implementing the ECA (Arts and culture). There was an teachers meeting which are usually boring and long but i got a lot of Spanish lessons in. I brought my grammar book with me. I have also taken the initiation to read one thing in Spanish everyday weather it is a few pages of a book or a national geographic magazine in Spanish. I also am having Spanish tutoring classes every time I am in Managua. I hope that this means i can at least get up to advanced when I leave in a year. That is my personal goal if i get higher that would be amazing to. 

I have gotten a person who is interested in helping me with  my ecological burgade. I am very excited and hope that this will get going pretty soon. I just want to talk to one more person to see if she is interested and have a group meeting. Then i can finish the grant form and hopefully get it posted on line. My process with the fair is going well and have great ideas to start with that. I feel that things are coming along nicely with my side projects. I want to see if i could start some rain gardens to help solve run off problems I will see if i can do a small scale one on my property or maybe in the school to see how it would work out. The only problem would be the dry season and everything  dies. I will need to do more research on it. 

Love you all talk to you more later


No comments:

Post a Comment