Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Wednesday, August 15, 2012


Well this has been an interesting time. Let’s see I have 14 kids in my manualidades (arts and crafts) class. I have talked to the teachers about having SONATI a NGO from Leon come and do a class about the environment. They agreed on a topic and we are now having them come twice! The first time I will have to change because I will not be in my site. They will be doing the charla your responsibility to the environment and animal trafficking. Those are rough translations of the Spanish version. It should be fun and I can’t wait to see what they do. The best things is the only thing that we need to pay for is the transportation.
I have been having problems finding times to help the high schoolers with their projects. When they are out of class and doing most of the work I am in class. As well when I am out of class they are in class. I am still trying to figure this all out. I really want to work with them just haven’t figured out how yet. My English class had gone well and I think I am really getting the handle of things. I hope that all of the students show up again. I need to remember to get their numbers I have to be able to call them to tell them about any cancelations or changes in times.
Classes are going relatively well I have taught some cultural and art classes. They did a picture using three of more different types of materials. They could go out and look for the materials in the school then they had to make a picture using said materials and different colors. They were graded on the number of material their creativity and participation. They loved it and the teachers loved it too. I have fun doing it and did a really good job. I even had teachers bragging to the other teachers and I did in their classes too! It feels good to be appreciated.
I am also helping another volunteer with their youth group and we are having a blast doing it I can’t wait to help more. They kids are really nice and she is giving me a lot of ideas about things that I could do. While I am on the topic of helping volunteers I will tell you what I did this weekend. I went to my friend’s house and helped her with a fair she was putting on. It went great but I was so tired after it. We woke up early every day and worked for most of the day. The kids were great and they had a blast. She also lives next to a river so we got to go swimming something I really miss. It was nice to get cooled off and hang out with a great friend. I think I will do a fair of my own around the topic of malaria and dengue. It will be done after school gets out giving the kids something fun to do. Maybe I can get the help of other volunteers of community members.
I have a lot of new ideas of things that I want to do. I am planning for a baseball competition with HIV and AIDS theme. I am also working on the ecological brigade like I mentioned before. I think that it will cost will be a about 1,000 dollars so I think that I will post a partnership through Peace Corps that will allow friends and family to donate to the event. I will keep you updated if this is something that I will do and when I post it. Tell me who is interested in giving some money I need to know for the grant process.
Thanks and I love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment