Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Volunteer Visit

Hi, Lets see, much has happened since i last wrote. I just got back from volunteer visit. Which is when we get to spend three days with a current volunteer shadowing them and learning about what it is like to be a volunteer. I stayed in a small village in Leon which is hot and humib. When i say small I mean small. There were like 700 something people in the village. I loved it! I felt so at ease there. It was silente, well as silente as you can get on a farm. But at least there was no radio blaring or horns honking and tv's. Heaven in my eyes.


The house was really small though and it was really crowded. There were four of us cramed in there. The house was a thatched roof with a garden in the middle which was cool but took up to much space. There were alot of biting ants and i think i am allergic to them. My feel swelled up and got numb after getting bit. I'll just have to carry around benadril from now on incase i get swarmed by them. No real deal just very annoying.


The village was a bit spread out with tons of animals and farms. There was alot of errotion problems. I went to the school with my volunteer and observed him teaching two classes. Then we toured the village and spoke with people there. I was very excited i understood most of them! Afterwards we had his youth group and played soccer. We had food that wasn't meat which i was craving. I really want to live in a house by myself with in a family consetion. I feel like i will be more comfortable and sain in that situation. I'll have to talk to PC about that. I can make my own vegetarian food. I really think i will be one when i get home.


My spanish is slowly improving i guess it is hard for me to tell but i'm sure i am. I understand how it is supose to be but when i try to speek it it comes out all wrong. Very fustrating. At least i can understand everyone even if they can't understand me. I can only get better and will improve greatly when i get to my site. I can't wait I'm soo excited to get started.


Love you all and miss you though not as much as last time. Hope all is well for you guys in the states. Until next time.


P.S. I get PIZZA for lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Isis! I hope you are doing well. It is really cool to read about your adventures. Sounds like you are learning a lot and facing some tough challenges too. I am sure you will overcome everything and are a huge help to the village even if it may not always seem like it. I am thinking about you!

    Love your cuz
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete