Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Saturday, March 19, 2011

From the Desert to the Tropics

Well I have a country no and a story about getting it. The recruiting officer called me with a placement in the Caribbeans i would be doing conservation sustainability work perfect. I said yes to it and did not think that the Caribbeans is primarily English speaking countries and I do not want to go to an English country since I can speak it already.

I called them back right after I realized my mistake but they were closed for the night. I knew that they usually didn't change an invite after it was decided. I got a call the next day and asked which country i would be going to. Jamaica, not that I have anything against Jamaica but it was not what I was really looking for. I asked if it was too late to change my place and they said that they don't usually change countries. He asked me what I didn't like about Jamaica I explained my desire for no English. They said that they don't do really do this but they would see what other options there are. I would most likely be leaving a few months later.

I got a call back and they said that i would be leaving for EL SALVADOR on July 19th! I'll be doing environmental education; agriculturalist work. So it's like a full circle. I was nominated for the exact thing I'm doing. Spanish here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment