Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. - Erma Brombeck

Friday, August 13, 2010

I'm going to Niger

Well a slight change in plans, I'm not going to South or Central America but to Africa. Niger Africa to be exact. I will be working in Food Security where I will be working with local farmers to help them improve their farming techniques and help with their diminishing natural resources. I can't wear my normal clothes I will have to have counseling loose clothing. So no shorts of skirts above the knee. No reveling tops.

I will be leaving on Oct 17 and get back in Dec 2012. There will be a pre-orientation then that is for a week. Then training in Niger for two months. If I pass that training I will be taken to my site. People don't usually fail training. Once I get to my site I have two to three month of site training which is learn the language and the village that I'm in. They want me to learn about the people to become part of the community before really starting my work. We all meet up again and then I would start my job at the site.

Ok so what my living conditions are expected to be. I will be taking "bucket showers" which consists of pouring water over me with a bucket. I will have no running water or electricity. They will provide water purification and a gas stove. I will be getting my water from a well. My house is an adobe type house and I will most likely be sleeping outside. The floor will be cement which is a luxury, lol.

There is no civil war so don't worry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment